South Shore PK-8

South Shore

School Nurse

South Shore School Nurse

Please ask about free and low-cost vision and dental resources.

What does a school nurse do?

Schoolnurses are trained to provide on-site services that are culturallysensitive, focused on prevention and wellness, and to be effectiveoutreach and medical liaisons between the school, students, family, andhealth care providers. They act as educational catalysts by helping topromote, plan, and implement successful school-wide programs to improvelearning readiness.

EachSeattle Public Schools’ school nurse has completed a four-yearbachelor’s degree in nursing, holds a current Registered Nurse license,and is required to have a Washington State Educational Staff Associate(ESA) certificate. Many school nurses have advanced degrees andadditional health education training. Seattle school nurses are alsorequired to hold valid American Red Cross CPR and First Aid cards.Comprehensive preparation is increasingly important as more and morestudents are attending school with severe and/or life-threateningmedical conditions (e.g. asthma, diabetes, and food allergies),injuries, or birth defects.

Besides caring for students who become injured or ill at school, school nurses also:

  • conduct state-mandated vision, hearing and scoliosis screening
  • act on direction from the Health Department to prevent communicable diseases and respond to disease outbreaks
  • develop emergency care plans for life-threatening situations such as bee stings or peanut allergies
  • conduct health assessments for students being evaluated for special education’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP)
  • provide input and training to school staff regarding the needs of technologically assisted students
  • contribute to accommodation plans that allow students with substantial disabilities to have equal access to education

Important Health Information

Immunizations Up to Date?

Washington State Law requires every student to provide proof of immunization compliance to attend school. If you received a letter from Health Services about immunizations your student needs for school, please make sure your student receives the immunization(s) listed in the letter or provide documents to indicate exemptions.

Send the immunization record to the school nurse or have your health care provider fax the record to the nurse.

SPS immunization requirements

Life-Threatening Health Conditions

If your student has a life-threatening health condition (Diabetes, Allergies, Seizure disorder, Asthma, etc.), the following items must be provided on or before the first day of school:

  • Life-Saving Medication
  • Medication Authorization forms
  • Treatment Supplies

To ensure your student’s health and safety during the school day, Washington State Law requires that your student be excluded from school until these items are received by the school nurse. Please let your school nurse know if you have any barriers to providing these items so they can offer support.

See SPS Policy 3413 for more information regarding the exclusion process.

Annual Student Health Updates

Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning to the school nurse.

How to complete the Annual Student Health Update form:

Medication Form

Ask your health provider to complete the Authorization for Medications Taken at School.

  • Each medication requires its own form
  • Your health care provider must sign the form
  • You must sign the form

 This is required for ALL medications.


All medications must be in their original container and labeled with the student’s name. Prescription medication must have a pharmacy label.

Emergency medications must be in the building on or before the first day of school.

Check medication expiration dates! Try to get medications that will last the entire school year.

Flu Shots Help Save Lives!

Schedule a flu shot for your student and family members. Here’s how:

  • Contact a School-Based Health Center (students only)
  • Seek care from your healthcare provider

Watch for announcements for upcoming flu shot clinics.

Protection from Respiratory Illness

Take actions to help manage the spread of respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, and keep each other safe.

Register Your Student for a School-Based Health Center

Your student can go to any School-Based Health Center within the district. Please call the clinic to make an appointment.